Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Resolutions - YUCK

I don't know about you but I don't make New Year's resolutions anymore.  In the past, I would make them and, as so many of us do, 3 weeks to a month in I've quit.  I stopped working out.  I stopped the diet I started.  Whatever the resolution was, it was quickly forgotten in the everyday hustle and bustle of life.  Then came the guilt along with the negative talk i.e. 'Why did you even make a resolution, you know you never go through with it, 'you cannot even follow one thing thru, why did you even try?', etc.

Many of us who struggle with depression or self-worth can beat ourselves up so bad we send ourselves spiraling down before the end of January.  Big goals are really a struggle for me and sometimes the end is too far away.

This is what I'm going to do this year.  No resolutions!!!  Instead, I'm going to write a daily goal, challenge or chore down on my calendar or to-do list.  At the end of the day, WHEN I have completed the the task I will check it off my list.  I like to check things off, it makes me feel good.  Then I can say to myself, 'Yay you completed something you wrote down'.  This encourages me to keep going.  It also inspires me to maybe do something else that is not on my list.

I'm going to break mine down very simple.  Here's some ideas:
* Vacuum living room
* Drink 8 more ounces of water than you usually do
* Write a note to someone
* Pay a bill
* Walk for 30 minutes
* Set up a doctor's appointment you've been needing to go to
* Study for an hour

Try this and see what you think.  May your New Year be full of blessings and completed goals!!!


2 comments:

  1. You are spot on! Sometimes the simplest thing can't be seen til you hear it from someone else. I value your posts and they have helped me immensely already....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this is helping. It is my honor to be able to help others as so many have helped me!!!!

    ReplyDelete