Saturday, November 7, 2015

R.E.S.T.

Rest?  Most of us would say 'Rest.  What is that?  Are you kidding me?  My life is so stressful I don't have time to rest.'  And if I were to come into your home and look at your calendar, I most probably would agree.  BUT.....

But it is essential.

R=Required
E=Equipment
for
S=Stress
T=Treatment

When I came home from work, it was a requirement not to hit me with 5,000 things as I walked in the door.  I needed at least 5-15 minutes alone to decompress.  It may appear selfish, but I knew myself.  I knew if I didn't get those few minutes the evening could go in a wrong direction.  So I gave myself permission.

Rest doesn't have to mean a day or a weekend, although there are times when we can do that.  But sometimes we have to take just a few minutes.  Here's some good advice I received once.  Get a box with a favorite CD, a candle or something similar with your favorite smell, something comforting like a soft blanket, pillow, stuffed animal, your Bible, a book of encouraging words, etc.  When things feel like they are starting to get to be too much, give yourself permission to get that box.  Find a quiet place and get what you need from the box; maybe one item or all.

A friend of mine and I used to joke about hanging a sign on our bedroom or office door that said "If there is no blood, there is no reason to knock on this door."  I believe you are a better mom, dad, spouse, etc. if you allow yourself to R.E.S.T.  GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TODAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment